Disclaimer

My Blog (njunaidah.blogspot.com) is purely based on self opinion and thoughts and does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any information's, content or advertisements contained on, distributed through, or linked, downloaded or accessed from any of the services contained on this website, nor the quality of any products, information's or any other material displayed,purchased, or obtained by you as a result of an advertisement or any other information's or offer in or in connection with the services herein.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

The things people say when they know I sew

Assalammu'alaikum family, friends, readers and followers of this blog. I know! I havent reviewed in a long time, I was suppose to do on for the Le Meridien but somehow all the photos I took of it disappeared from both my mobile and my husband's. We manage to only salvage a few but it wasnt a good picture of the whole hotel. Or I scrapped that, until I get another stay to take good pictures all over again.

And while I was sulking about the picture loss, it strike me to write this.

The things people say when they know I sew... Jeng jeng jeng...

Hah! Sewing isnt a new thing in my family. My mother sews, my aunty sews, my grandma can do hand stitching very well, my sister can hand sew neatly, so when I sew, it wasn't very extravaganza. Still, I get remarks.

Things my mom said when I first started. Do note that I am a messy girl who don't really care how it looks as long as I can use/wear it, when I first started. So here goes: "You? Sew? People will vomit at your stitches" "Why cant you stitch it right?" "Why arent you using matching thread for the fabric?" "Don't meddle with my tension settings!"

And often without even looking, she can tell I am messing her machine up and she will yell "ARE YOU TRYING TO DESTROY MY MACHINE?"

Haha.. Hey I was starting out and 90% of the time I was not doing any sewing right. So that explains.

I didnt do what she could do at that time. I never attempt to sew apparels. What I did was to sew bags and upcycle stuff. So she can't tell me the how and what nots.

Fast forward to today, when I can more or less sew my own apparels, and even take orders to sew pants and shorts for the children and adults alike, it is a different ball game.

There are various of groups that react very differently to the skill I have. I never knew sewing is a super power skill. LOL!

They would say "Oh you can sew? Can you make me this peplum dress with this flare sleeves?"

Usually I decline. On some weird days, I say okay.. but I am gonna charge it and it wont be cheap.

And they go like "oh you know.. at the supermart it cost like $19, so you should make it for $15"

I went like whaaaatttt?? you are kidding me, right? Material itself cost more than that, if it is cheap, chances are it will feel like garbage against your skin. Secondly, I don't just get fabric, unfold it and say albracadabra for it to become a dress. I need to draft a pattern, pin the pattern to the fabric, cut it, serge it and piece them all together. If you think it just take 1hr, I will tell you to go sew it yourself. What are you thinking??

And then there are people who go like "oh like that, I can send to you my pants and dresses that need alterations la!"

Hold it!! What makes you think sewing = alteration expert? It is a total different arena, baby! Oh no I dont do alterations, and oh no I won't! Even if it is JUST a length alteration, I dont. I wont. And if I do, it would be $15 thank you! So might as well trot yourself to the alteration shop near you who will charge $6-12 for a simple easy piece of alteration.

And then there are people who claim we are cheap to sew our own clothes. Oh yes baby, like a famous quote that always pops up in our community says, "Why buy it for $7 when you can make it yourself for $92 of craft supplies."

Perfect sense to me if you asked! Seriously, if it is soo cheap, everyone would be sewing!

Some like to put it simply like "Can sew me this, I can give you the sample, just sew it like that. Simple one!"

Oh so simple, then do it yourself.

Then they say "Oh i dont have a machine"

So I asked them to come by and use my machine, and I never heard from them since. Maybe they lost my number and address. Oh well.

Oh! Do read this : Top 50 Funny Sewing Quotes.

I could relate to a lot of it and definitely have a good laugh at it too!

Until I find the pictures so I can do a review!
Jun

Wassalam

No comments: