Disclaimer

My Blog (njunaidah.blogspot.com) is purely based on self opinion and thoughts and does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any information's, content or advertisements contained on, distributed through, or linked, downloaded or accessed from any of the services contained on this website, nor the quality of any products, information's or any other material displayed,purchased, or obtained by you as a result of an advertisement or any other information's or offer in or in connection with the services herein.

Wednesday, September 06, 2017

Tulipa Dolman - a tester perspective!

Assalammu'alaikum family, friends, readers and followers of this blog. I know and well aware that I haven't really post much about sewing lately. I havent had much chance or opportunity to test patterns and I miss it so much that when I saw Mellissa from Sew Like My Mom call for tester, I applied immediately!

Time was really not very much on my side lately, but I just had to jump on it. I knew her pattern is always so perfect and easy to tape together and instructions would be breeze, so I was confident to just give it a go despite being very busy.

I was given 3 days, I think.. And I made it before the deadline! Yeay!

I first knew of Sew Like My Mom when I was looking for free patterns to just try and to know designers and such. I stumbled upon the Sycamore Shorts. I love the instructions (and tips) and the awesome end product that comes along. I knew then, SLMM is definitely going to the list of awesome designers, and led me to purchase her Boxwood and Redwood Joggers. No regrets! It was one of the best decisions made and have since made more than 3 pairs each. See my blog abt it here.

So, when I saw a tester call from SLMM, I just had to! The only thing I lacked was a good worthy picture to go to the front page or anywhere. I guess I have to up my game soon if I want to be in the tester pool and stay there. Anyways, Mellissa is so nice.. I was assigned to make a 3T tunic with long sleeves and that I did.

She is one of the designers that I really dont mind taping A4s together, I mean if you know me, you know I am really lazy with taping patterns together, but hers I dont quite mind because I know it will match easy and perfectly. I taped it all up in less than an hour, with handphone and baby's distraction (if you need to know why it took THAT long).

It didnt take long for me to dive into which fabric to make it with. I bought cheap ones locally for $6/yard I dont see why I need to think about it. I had remnants lying around that is just enough, and used that as well.

The group was an awesome bunch, I get to go through the errors even before Mellissa opened an error thread, so instructions thereon was easy. It flows and is really easy to follow, and if you are an intermediate, you probably just scan thru and off you go to put them all together.

I took less than an hour to make a fit test and another hour to make another 2!

I love dolmans for many reasons, one, there is no armscye (armhole), which to me means comfort without compromising style. It comes with 3 lengths, a shirt length, tunic length and dress length. Perfect! One pattern, 3 styles.. we can go places! It has 2 views, now.. that multiplies to 6styles... View A is a non-gathered front and View B is gathered front, which means more space to swing the skirt around, also good for baby tummy! Yummy yummy tummy! And it comes in short (no sleeve piece needed) and long sleeve! How much more awesome can it get, right?

Now.. enjoy the pictures ppl!










What I love about this pattern? The curved front and back for the body is a nice feature. Actually I went for these because of the pockets, but time was not on my side to get that done, so there are now queuing at my machine to get the pockets sewn on.

I am all for it when an adult version comes out.. which may actually be sooner than I thought!

Oh! Here's the links if you would love to get the patterns and sew your own:

Bundle: sz 12m - 16https://www.etsy.com/.../tulipa-dolman-bundle-pdf-pattern...

Sz 6-16 : https://www.etsy.com/.../tulipa-dolman-pdf-pattern-6-16...

Sz 12m - 8 : https://www.etsy.com/.../tulipa-dolman-pdf-pattern-12m-8...

Do join her fb group if you need help of any kind, and if you not so much into sewing, you can always find me at #sewbasicsg (both FB and IG) and let me know, if orders are not overwhelming, I will be happy to sew it for you at a price. :)

Oh if you are in Singapore looking for good knits.. Here are where I got them
First picture, purple heathered knit & Unicorn is from :
Oh Sew Knits & Basics : FB Grp, FB Page
And the polka dots and the pink "marble" effect is from a local shop at People's Park:
Brighton : FB page

Happy sewing!

Until the next blog,
Jun

Wassalam

No comments: