Disclaimer

My Blog (njunaidah.blogspot.com) is purely based on self opinion and thoughts and does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any information's, content or advertisements contained on, distributed through, or linked, downloaded or accessed from any of the services contained on this website, nor the quality of any products, information's or any other material displayed,purchased, or obtained by you as a result of an advertisement or any other information's or offer in or in connection with the services herein.

Thursday, October 19, 2017

Testing for Sinclair Patterns - The Alexis Relaxed Fit Hoodie Dress

Assalammu'alaikum family, friends, readers and followers of this blog. As many would have known, I have been trying to finish up my stash and do more purposeful hoarding that I will definitely use instead of keeping it for "I don't know when, and what pattern will call for it". So lately, to facilitate that intention and help me finish it up quicker, I end up signing up for a lot of pattern tester opportunities.

And I saw one as soon as I decided to do it. A call from Oxana Sinclair - the designer behind Sinclair Patterns. I honestly haven't heard of her before this, but the image she shared for us to test was something I knew I won't mind doing more than twice and something I would love! I signed up, and eventually got chosen few days to a week later. Through that week I joined her pattern group and saw a few patterns that I'd love to have and sew! She does designs pretty stuff to wear!!!

As with most pattern testing, I usually wait for someone to do it first, just so I can use my good fabric right away. I initially had my doubts as many were saying it has too much room, and that they had to downsize and what not. I am a Sz0 Petite, so I hang on for a bit. When Oxana address this, I took the opportunity to confirm her intention and if I need to cut my ease for the look she is after, and my gut is right, I don't need to change anything, so I went as is on her pattern, and it is true love! I did and completed mine of the 3rd or 4th day of the testing period and immediately fell in love with it! I love oversize everything on me!

My first love moment was when I was doing the hood. It requires a band, which I thought was peculiar but I followed through the instructions, and oh boy I love that the hood was the first thing that is instructed to construct, because it is so perfect!!! I knew right away I will love the rest of the instructions and definitely love the pattern. That I do.

The hood band means I don't need to make the tunnel for the string, it also gives this very clean finish look, and add more room in the hood, I totally totally love love love it!

The next thing I like is the reinforced shoulder seam, I never seen this need for other patterns so I find that interesting, instead of using cotton twill tape or clear elastic, I use my ponte scraps, and it worked great! I thought it would be bulky, but i don't feel a thing there, except I felt it is better, and prevented overstretching due to the weight as this pattern calls for med-heavy stable knit. So that reinforcement helps hold it all up together better.

I used neo-membrane fabric (I don't really know what that is! It felt a little spongy almost like a Styrofoam, I am guessing it is equivalent to scuba fabric? The print was pretty with huge florals!) and ponte as lining. No regrets! I love it! ALL of it! Ponte I had is only 2way stretch, so it is a little stiff and tight, but it works for me oh so well, esp as the layered sleeves. I just couldn't express enough love for it! And I could hardly keep my hands off the pockets! It is so roomy and I can fit a sandwich in them and not look overloaded! So much love!!!!



The neo-membrane fabric aka "scuba knit", I got it from a physical shop at People's Park Complex, 2nd floor near the escalator where there are furniture selling.
The green Ponte de Roma was from Oh Sew Knits & Basics

The next one I tried (really, trust me! It doesn't take long to make one!) was with French Terry as main and the Modal Knit as layered sleeves and hood, and a much heavier FT for the hood lining. I lengthened the layered sleeves as I love love love extra long sleeves I like it to end nearer to my palm. And since a lot of us had said the same - the need to lengthened the sleeves, Oxana revised the pattern to accommodate that, along with a little less extra ease at waist and hips, whilst still maintaining its relaxed fit.

Here are the pictures I have! So much love! On a serious note though, I really need a better cameraman. My husband took like 20-25 quick snaps and simply tell me "nah done!". Ok lah I still love him, but I wish he could take better photos to focus on the garment I sew.. Maybe he is retaliating for all the time I took to sew instead of lying next to him and watch tv, I don't know... :p





I guess they are not that bad, better than the last pictures I had taken previously, yes?

The Stripes French Terry, Solid Black French Terry (hood lining - can't see in pictures) & White Modal Knit is from Oh Sew Knits & Basic.

Edited to add: This patterns comes in sizes US0-US22 /UK8-UK26 and in 3 different heights, ie. Petite (152-160cm / 5'1"-5'3"), Regular (162-170cm/ 5'4"-5'6") & Tall (170-178cm/5'7"-5'9"). Hardly any grading is required for this, but if you wish to have a custom sizing made for you, it'll be an addnt $10, simply get hold of the designer by leaving a note at checkout.

Oh! And it comes in A0 print - no taping required!

The pattern is available here:

Alexis Relaxed Fit Hoodie Dress

You can join the Sinclair Patterns Grp here as well! It is where we all share our creations made using Sinclair Patterns.

Happy Sewing! Oh! If you are not fond of sewing it yourself, you know you can always dm Sewbasicsg here.

Until the next PDF Pattern Testing,
Jun

Wassalam

No comments: