Disclaimer

My Blog (njunaidah.blogspot.com) is purely based on self opinion and thoughts and does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any information's, content or advertisements contained on, distributed through, or linked, downloaded or accessed from any of the services contained on this website, nor the quality of any products, information's or any other material displayed,purchased, or obtained by you as a result of an advertisement or any other information's or offer in or in connection with the services herein.

Thursday, March 03, 2016

Sewing for the boys/men

Assalammu'alaikum family, friends, readers and followers of this blog. I know and well aware that I haven't really blogged about my sewing journey, at least not as much as I had wanted to. So today, let's just jump on it.

Sewing for the boys/men can be tedious and boring. And here's why!

Limited Fabric Choice

Oh tell me about it. The boys can at least have fun prints still, but men.. so so so limited choices.. Go for colours and they give this face. Go for fun and they wont wear it. Go for boring and they will say "oh I have that already"

Just lines...


And more lines....
Men!!!! Just what do you guys wear??
The very rare one that is fun but not too fun..

Tedious

For some reason, sewing a men's shirt is so tedious. These shirt patterns CANNOT go without pressing and ironing.

Kwik Sew 3484
And just for my own reference, I should revisit this blog to refresh how to sew the shirt right.
McCalls  6972
I have tried both, and I urge you sewist to please don't miss the pressing steps. It makes a huge difference.

And another reference for collar, see this blog.

Boring

I mean how many patterns are there for men? Seriously, there are always with shirt, t shirt, raglan shirt, and what? Singlet? *huffs* so boring.. Same thing, same fabric, same pressing game.

BUT it can teach you a few things.

Men's shirt look simple don't there, and expensive, even at sales, these shirts cost like what? $40 or something?

Well after sewing one I know why it is so expensive. And oh simple yes, but it is not too simple.

This is my first boy's shirt that I sew. Went horribly wrong with the wrong interfacing and the wrong step.



Tried again, by omitting the collar, still something is wrong..
Using McCalls 6972 Sz 3-4


Tried again, and well, with a bit of luck, it may turn out okay..
Using Kwik Sew 3484 Sx XL


Bottom line is.. DON'T GIVE UP. :) Keep trying, keep practicing! You'll get there, I will get there.

The toughest part for me when sewing these shirts is the front flap and collar, which tends to get on my edge. I will be making more of these whenever I need that extra challenge, definitely.

It is fun, when you do it once in awhile, but I do find it really tedious to be constantly being on point with the serge, sew, press, sew, press and to repeat that process for every part. It does drives me insane, but seeing the end result so pretty (probably because of the constant pressing), it does give me that satisfaction smile. And to top it up, the husband is impressed.

It fits! Yeay!

IF you do have fun prints for the men, do hola me! I sooo need some to practice sewing these!

The sewist who is having fun,
Jun

Wassalam

No comments: