Disclaimer

My Blog (njunaidah.blogspot.com) is purely based on self opinion and thoughts and does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any information's, content or advertisements contained on, distributed through, or linked, downloaded or accessed from any of the services contained on this website, nor the quality of any products, information's or any other material displayed,purchased, or obtained by you as a result of an advertisement or any other information's or offer in or in connection with the services herein.

Friday, February 07, 2014

The etiquette of borrowing money

Assammu'alaikum family and friends,

Of late, my BFF and I keep coming across people who just dunno how to appreciate us when we lend them that extra cash they "need".

We do not ask for much. We just want the following:

Updates:

You had borrowed from us, and promised us to pay when you get your salary checked in.
So why are there no updates apart from the newsfeed on your facebook about the recent trip, the recent shopping and the recent celebrations? No, we won't be angry had you just text us, "Hey, sorry... Can I pay you the next XXX. I forgot about that trip my friends and I planned."

Be on time:

Be on time, since we loan you the cash timely, we expect you to deliver us your promise or the very least an update on time too. If you had promised to pay on 15th, it means the 15th, and as much as we kept ourselves silent, we won't be able to help but to complain if nothing comes along by the 16th. So be on time, if you can't make it, text us.

Pretend we are banks, and not mind readers:

Had we been the bank, do you think we would accept your lateness in paying with such empathy? I guess not, banks would charge interest, plus late payment charges. So stop telling us to magically read your mind and simply understand you, why don't you do the updating to us?

As is, we sympathize with your situation, which is why we loan you the cash. Don't make us regret loaning you the money.


It is not the sum nor is it about who:

It doesnt matter how much you owe or who you are to the person you owe.

You can be my mother, my sister, my BFF or my customer. It can be $5, $50, $500, or $5000.

If you had owed me $50,000, promising me to pay in December 2015. Then pay up on time or earlier and noone would know you owe me. But if you owe me $5, promising me to pay me yesterday and no news were conveyed to me about why you havent pay, then I have my rights to warn others against you.

I can be nice and disregard it, but remember... habits starts small too.

I obviously cared, and don't want to get into the habit of borrowing money unless you really are genuine about paying it back on time.


When is it I owe you, and when is it a favour from you?

Simple. You owe me if you said something along the lines of, "I owe you. Will pay  by xxx"

It is my sincere favour when I said something along the lines of, "No need, this is from me, not borrowed."

And I usually accept it as a favour when people say something along the lines of, "It is okay, I pay for you. You pay me when you have excess cash"

BUT, I disregard it when that person reply something along the lines of, "NO, I promise, I will pay you by xxx"

And I accept it as my favour for you when you reply something along the lines of, "You say uh, I accept your favour"

Have your manners!

Now, have your manners, it is already good enough that we didnt mention names. It is only right for you to pay and apologize for taking too long to update/pay up.

With this said, we are not any kind of money lenders, and we are not rich to be loaning others disregarding our own shortfalls.

My BFF and I, we both don't own anything branded. We lived humbly, with things that can just make do. We are not rich, so when we do offer you something on loan, we do have a special spot for you. Take care of that spot, because it will be tarnished when you just keep silent and disappeared. Don't come back to us when you really need help, because chances are.... we may not believe it again in fear of repetition.

This post is not about you!

And oh please.. this post is not about you. It is about borrowing money and the etiquette we expect of from people who borrowed from us.

No offence.

If you like this post, maybe you'd like to read about "The etiquette of Cancelling Plans" too. :)

Wassalam

No comments: