Disclaimer

My Blog (njunaidah.blogspot.com) is purely based on self opinion and thoughts and does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any information's, content or advertisements contained on, distributed through, or linked, downloaded or accessed from any of the services contained on this website, nor the quality of any products, information's or any other material displayed,purchased, or obtained by you as a result of an advertisement or any other information's or offer in or in connection with the services herein.

Friday, December 12, 2014

Mommy vs Commuter

Assalammualaikum family, friends, readers and followers of this blog!

Once again, we are here.. With the weekend here.. I guess it is apt enough for me to write about the pet peeves when travelling on public with baby, stroller, and lots more in hand.

Here we go... Ready or not....

Well, okay, let's be nice and put a scenario running shall we?

So as always, I fetched Baby M at the platform, sometimes on NEL, sometimes on CCL. And with all babies, we had a stroller, diaper bag (which easily fetch ard 3kg) and everything necessary. All nice and pretty, we set out to get ourselves home. Having had to change between NEL to CCL to EW line, of course we always had to take the elevator, and during peak hours, we always have to swim along with thousand others who are rushing home from work or wherever they are coming from. And here are the kindda people we always bump into.

"Blind" Commuters

These ones can be "deaf" too. We are entering the train right, so they are people standing near the door, be it the elevator door or the train door. And so I said, "Excuse me!!" And these people well they either don't see you or underestimate the size of our stroller. So I said, "Move aside please"
Move aside (yeah, just a baby step, that's it!) OH yes.. one little baby step, oh yeah, that'll do.

And then "OUCH!" scream one "blind/deaf" commuter, and I was surprised! "Oh now you can see me!" Well sorry!

Overly concerned Commuters


As with other babies, sometimes Baby M has her wailing days, where she just feel like bursting out of the blue, often because I was a tad late in giving her what she wanted -snacks maybe or just water.

And then, there's this bunch who sometimes come at you like "oh why baby cry?" "so kesian" "maybe she want to be carried"

Oh ya that last statement.. Hmm ok, if I do choose to carry her, would you be giving me space? Would everyone be happy if the train jerks and I lost my balance and along with baby, I go tumbling down? Would you like that?

Look, I am alone. And baby in pram is the safest place a baby can be. The pram brakes works well, and if it is sliding, I can stretch my hands across to hold it with another hand holding the railing, and baby will still be safely secured in her pram. So, I don't mind a crying baby in the pram as long as she is not bleeding, not in pain, and just in need of some entertainment, and entertaining her would be my job. If you'd like to help, make a funny face.

And keep your hands off baby please. Baby touching you doesn't give you rights to hold/touch her especially not her face. (NOT that I have experience these touchy ones, but I've seen other babies get that a lot. Maybe because Baby M mostly touches men, and men always refrain from touching babies for some reason)

"Handicapped" and in dire need to use the elevator


The worst of any kind. If you had read my previous post about the people who moved just an inch to make way for the double stroller, you'd get me.

The elevator is actually meant for the handicapped, the wheel-bounded, the unwell or someone who had their hands too full. I understand you taking the lift if you have both your hands occupied with paperbags, I understand when you have a toddler holding onto your shirt, and another in the back pocket and carrying a baby. I understand if you'r pregnant, and I understand if you were in a corner holding on to the railing (must be light-headed). And definitely get it if you're with a stroller or wheelchair or the motorized handicap "bike"or if you're with an elderly.

What I don't get it is those who are empty handed, young, happy, smiley, and they occupy the elevator like it is full even if it is just the two of them. And these very people can actually have the patience to wait 10 minutes for the elevator. Wouldn't the escalator be faster for you guys? 10 minutes can get you 2 storeys without ever waiting!

And mind you! These very people would actually rush in the elevator even when there are 5 mommies with strollers side by side with them. Shouldn't they give way to us? I mean you have the option to take the escalator! We don't! I mean we can, but it'd be dangerous - plus require more work holding on to the weight.

Like with the "blind" commuter, these people are pretty much the same. I dunno how their brain works but apparently, a stroller can and will fit just by moving a small baby inch step to the side.

And like the "blind" commuter, their sight comes to life when their toes got rolled over by our mighty pram wheels.

If you noticed, fellow moms would make way for another pram so they can fit in, but not the empty handed healthy person next to her.

Toilets

I seriously hope SMRT would look at making a make-shift nursing/diaper change room at their platforms, it is really not nice changing diapers while others stare at you for embarrassing your baby, with fingers on nose sort of face. Actually a cushioned seat with curtain to go around would do good already. no need for water or anything (maybe wet tissues would be nice) but just something so we can change diapers in discreet. 


Speaking of toilets, I so hate malls or any place that doesn't have a special mom and baby toilet. I had only been to one with has a baby "holder" so mom can go at peace. For some reason, I forgot where this place is... But it has two adult toilet bowls, a huge vanity area, baby "holder", and a nappy change pad/table. The place is huge, and can possibly fit two moms and their children (with strollers) without feeling cramped up. And it is really clean too!

So, what's your pet peeves when travelling on public with baby (and stroller)?

Next up : Baby M"s first Concert!

Meanwhile, have a happy great WEEKEND!

Wassalam,
Jun


No comments: