Disclaimer

My Blog (njunaidah.blogspot.com) is purely based on self opinion and thoughts and does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any information's, content or advertisements contained on, distributed through, or linked, downloaded or accessed from any of the services contained on this website, nor the quality of any products, information's or any other material displayed,purchased, or obtained by you as a result of an advertisement or any other information's or offer in or in connection with the services herein.

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Say No to Bridezilla!

Assalammu'alaikum family and friends,

As some of my younger friends are getting ready to hit the wedding bells, I thought it'd just be nice to give some tips to avoid turning into a Bridezilla.

I have had my moments whilst preparing mine, just that I was being such a kiasu that my panic attack was 6months prior to the big day, so that left me and my wedding planner team ample time to work it out and settle it a month prior the THE day.

So there it is :

Tip 1: Plan way in advance

I don't know how else to emphasize the importance. I had mine planned 19 months ahead. I got engaged in Feb 2011, I had my wedding planner in tow in May 2011. My wedding was in Dec 2012.

That 19 months, as long as it sounds, is actually pretty short.

Tip 2: Get a list of things to get done

Yes, simple as that. Get the list written/typed and pasted on your book, fridge, or even your bedroom door. There will always a little something to add as you are passing day by day to the wedding.

Here's my initial list:

Wedding theme - colours, songs (DJ), food/drinks
Wedding costumes - how many, what colours, what theme?
Guest List - family, friends, colleagues


Smart small, it will grow - trust me!

Tip 3: Appoint your VIP

Not VIP Guest, but VIP assistants, the people whom you'd trust the most to handle your wedding or someone who know your taste and can make decisions of behalf.

Your Right Man/Woman (preferably a family member) - She/He will be holding the house keys, and will be the key person anyone should look out for if you are not around. She must know what your itenary is and what to expect when.

Your Bestman/Bridesmaid (preferably a friend) - why not family member? Simple answer for this one. Family members usually get distracted and pulled over by your family guests. Your bestfriend would be ideal for this job, because he/she would know who your family and some friends at least. Her/His job would be to keep track of time, and to be at your service, he/she should be the one running for you, get the water for you, and the one who should inform your make-up artist if something is amiss. And she/he would be carrying your important things like your mobile/wallet. So you gotta trust her/him and she/he needs to very reliable.

Tip 4: Leave the work to the experts


Yes, as much as we want to get involved and do everything ourselves, some things are better left to the professionals. Just tell them what you want, and allow them to surprise you.

If you are a perfectionist, learn to let go, don't expect everyone to fly to the sky. If you are the bo-chap sort, don't let everyone else decide for your wedding. You have to set the direction before you can leave everything to everyone. If you don't have a direction, everyone will be going in every direction in opposites and won't see to work in the same direction.

Of course, if you want to give a personal touch, do what is within your means, don't overload yourself and over-stress yourself or putting yourself under unnecessary pressure.

I did my own wedding favours and had started almost immediately after I have my wedding planner on board, and had expressed to her my intentions.

Tip 5: Get all the help you can

Again, as much as we want to be independent, it is during this time that you'll be glad there is help. Tell your friends if you need a pair of extra hands, most would be glad to help in!

Tip 6: Hand it over to your VIPs

As we are nearing our big dates, it will be time to hand it over to your VIPs to take over. Tell them when your cake is coming, who is the person baking your cake, how your cake is suppose to look like, tell them when the henna artist is coming, when the make up artist is coming, what time you are scheduled to change, what time you are scheduled to eat. Tell them the whole itenary, and allow them to take the load off you.

Tip 7: Take a break and do a little retreat

About time! Give yourself a break, with people taking over your worries. Relax, go for a retreat and destress for awhile. Trust your VIPs. They would want a perfect wedding for you too...

Tip 8: Get enough sleep

We all get cranky when we don't sleep enough. Go schedule an alarm to go to sleep if you must. Don't stay up too late! If you really did leave something out, just relay the message to your VIP. Before that, ask yourself, is it really important for you to not miss this, or it is something that you can do without and still be happy? Don't overstress your VIPs, they are human too. Don't be too authoritative else they would find it a burden.

Tip 9: Relax and Enjoy the day.

Finally the day has come? Relax... Stay positive, remember everyone has been waiting for this day, of course they want it to be as perfect as you had planned.

"Do not have high expectations" - one the of best advice Sis Neny got when she was getting married.

This would let you feel surprised at how perfect your wedding ends up to be. Trust me, all weddings will have their hiccups. What makes it different is how you, the wedded couple, reacts to it.

Let your wedding planner and VIPs work things out, you just have to relax... Don't worry, everything will be fine, afterall you've got each other now.. :)

Tip 10: Smile and Love

This is something I failed to do a lot during my big day. I dunno what was on my mind, I had fun, but it was hard to smile and love at that point. My husband wasn't posing well, neither did I. In fact there are a few pictures that caught me frowning or staring into empty space.

Here's one:

I have absolutely no idea what I was doing or thinking when my cameraman snap this photo. LOL!

So future brides and grooms, please remember to smile and love on your big day. Show the world it is your big day and that you are happy with your chosen partner. Dah Halal dah... peluk la sampai pagi!

I hope all the above would help you in your planning and bring you smiles.

If you like this entry, you may find this entry useful to you too.

Wassalam,
Jun

No comments: